1. The state of being shut, pressed together, or united. Hence according to the nature of the thing to which the word is applied.
2. Compactness; solidity; as the closeness of texture in wood or fossils.
3. Narrowness; straitness; as of a place.
4. Tightness in building, or in apartments; firmness of texture in cloth, etc.
5. Want of ventilation; applied to a close room, or to the air confined in it.
6. Confinement or retirement of a person; recluseness; solitude.
7. Reserve in intercourse; secrecy; privacy; caution.
8. Covetousness; penuriousness.
9. Connection; near union; intimacy, whether of friendship, or of interest; as the closeness of friendship, or of alliance.
10. Pressure; urgency; variously applied; as the closeness of an agreement, or of debate; the closeness of a question or inquiry.
11. Adherence to an original; as the closeness of a version.