IMPE'RIOUS, adjective [Latin imperiosus.]
1. Commanding; dictatorial; haughty; arrogant; overbearing; domineering; as an imperious tyrant; an imperious dictator; an imperious man; an imperious temper.
2. Commanding; indicating an imperious temper; authoritative; as imperious words.
3. Powerful; overbearing; not to be opposed by obstacles; as a man of a vast and imperious mind.
4. Commanding; urgent; pressing; as imperious love; imperious circumstances; imperious appetite.
5. Authoritative; commanding with rightful authority.
The commandment high and imperious in its claims.