SIGNIF'ICANT, adjective [Latin signigicans.]
1. Expressive of something beyond the external mark.
2. Bearing a meaning; expressing or containing signification of sense; as a significant word or sound; a significant look.
3. Betokening something; standing as a sign of something. It was well said of Plotinus, that the stars were significant but not efficient.
4. Expressive or representative of some fact or event, The passover among the Jews was significant of the escape of the Israelites from the destruction which fell on the Egyptians. The bread and wine in the sacrament are significant of the body and blood of Christ.
5. Important; momentous. [Not in use.]