STRICT, adjective [Latin See Strain.]
1. Strained; drawn close; tight; as a strict embrace; a strict ligature.
2. Tense; not relaxed; as a strict or lax fiber.
3. Exact; accurate; rigorously nice; as, to keep strict watch. Observe the strictest rules of virtue and decorum.
4. Severe; rigorous; governed or governing by exact rules; observing exact rules; as, the father is very strict in observing the sabbath. The master is very strict with his apprentices.
5. Rigorous; not mild or indulgent; as strict laws.
6. Confined; limited; not with latitude; as, to understand words in a strict sense.