1. A hook for fastening; a catch; a small hook to hold together the covers of a book, or the different parts of a garment, of a belt, etc.
2. A close embrace; a throwing of the arms round.
CLASP, verb transitive
1. To shut or fasten together with a clasp
2. To catch and hold by twining; to surround and cling to; as the clasping ivy.
3. To inclose and hold in the hand; or simply to inclose or encompass with the fingers.
4. To embrace closely; to throw the arms round; to catch with the arms.
5. To inclose, and press.