F'AR, adjective [Latin porro; Gr. connected with, a way, a passing, to pass or go. See Fare.]
1. Distant, in any direction; separated by a wide space from the place where one is, or from any given place remote.
They said, we are come from a far country. Joshua 9:6.
The kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country. Matthew 25:14.
The nation far and near contend in choice.
2. Figuratively, remote from purpose; contrary to design or wishes; as, far be it from me to justify cruelty.
3. Remote in affection or obedience; at enmity with; alienated; in a spiritual sense.
They that are far from thee shall perish. Psalms 123:1.
4. More or most distant of the two; as the far side of a horse. But the drivers of teams in New England generally use off; as the off side, or off horse or ox.
1. To a great extent or distance of space; as the far extended ocean; we are separated far from each other.
Only ye shall not go very far away. Exodus 8:28.
2. figuratively, distantly in time from any point; remotely. He pushed his researches very far into antiquity.
3. In interrogatories, to what distance or extent. How far will such reasoning lead us?
4. In great part; as, the day is far spent.
5. In a great proportion; by many degrees; very much.
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. Proverbs 31:10.
For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ, which is far better. Philippians 1:23.
6. to a certain point, degree or distance. This argument is sound and logical, as far as it goes.
Answer them how far forth you do like their articles.
From far from a great distance; from a remote place.
Far from, at a great distance; as far from home; far from hope.
1. far off, at a great distance.
They tarried in a place that was far off. 2 Samuel 15:17.
2. To a great distance.
Lo then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Psalms 55:7.
3. In a spiritual sense, alienated; at enmity; in a state of ignorance and alienation.
Ye, who were sometime far off, are made nigh by the blood of Christ. Ephesians 2:13.
Far other, very different.