LIM'IT, noun [Latin limes. See Limb.]
1. Bound; border; utmost extent; the part that terminates a thing; as the limit of a town, city or empire; the limits of human knowledge.
2. The thing which bounds; restraint.
3. Limits, plural , the extent of the liberties of a prison.
LIM'IT, verb transitive
1. To bound; to set bounds to.
2. To confine within certain bounds; to circumscribe; to restrain. The government of England is a limited monarchy.
They tempted God and limited the Holy One of Israel. Psalms 78:41.
3. To restrain from a lax or general signification. World sometimes signifies the universe, and sometimes its signification is limited to this earth.