SA'VING, participle present tense
1. Preserving from evil or destruction; hindering from waste or loss; sparing; taking or using in time.
3. adjective Frugal; not lavish; avoiding unnecessary expenses; economical; parsimonious. But it implies less rigorous economy than parsimonious; as a saving husbandman or housekeeper.
4. That saves in returns or receipts the principal or sum employed or expended; that incurs no loss, though not gainful; as a saving bargain. The ship has made a saving voyage.
5. That secures everlasting salvation; as saving grace.
1. Something kept from being expended or lost.
By reducing the interest of the debt, the nation makes a saving
2. Exception; reservation.
Contend not with those that are too strong for us, but still with a saving to honesty.