1. Broad; having a great or considerable distance or extent between the sides; opposed to narrow; as wide cloth; a wide table; a wide highway; a wide bed; a wide hall or entry. In this use, wide is distinguished from long, which refers to the extent or distance between the ends.
2. Broad; having a great extent each way; as a wide plain; the wide ocean.
3. Remote; distant. This position is very wide from the truth.
4. Broad to a certain degree; as three feet wide
1. At a distance; far. His fame was spread wide
2. With great extent; used chiefly in composition; as wide-skirted meads; wide-waving swords; wide-wasting pestilence; wide-spreading evil.