1. Any sound, outcry or information intended to give notice of approaching danger as, to sound an alarm
2. A summon to arms.
3. Sudden surprise with fear or terror; as, the fire or the enemy excited an alarm
4. Terror; a sensation excited by an apprehension of danger, from whatever cause; as, we felt an alarm at the cry of fire.
5. In fencing, an appeal or challenge.
AL'ARM, verb transitive
1. To give notice of danger; to rouse to vigilance, and exertions for safety.
2. To call to arms for defense.
3. To surprise with apprehension of danger; to disturb with terror; to fill with anxiety by the prospect of evil.