ALLOW', verb transitive [Latin loco, to lay, set, place. See Lay.]
1. To grant, give or yield; as, to allow a servant his liberty; to allow a pension.
2. To admit; as, to allow the truth of a proposition; to allow a claim.
3. To admit; to own or acknowledge; as, to allow the right of the President to displace officers.
4. To approve, justify or sanction.
5. To afford, or grant as a compensation; as, to allow a dollar a day for wages.
6. To abate or deduct; as, to allow a sum for tare or leakage.
7. To permit; to grant license to; as, to allow a son to be absent.