1. A cloth or piece of leather worn on the forepart of the body, to keep the clothes clean, or defend them from injury.
2. The fat skin covering the belly of a goose.
3. In gunnery, a flat piece of lead that covers the vent of a cannon.
4. In ships, a piece of curved timber, just above the foremost end of the keel.
5. A platform, or flooring of plank, at the entrance of a dock, on which the dock gates are shut.
6. A piece of lether or other thing to be spread before a person riding in a gig, chaise or sulky, to defend him from rain, snow or dust.