1. An allotting, or an appointment to a particular person or use.
2. A transfer of title or interest by writing, as of a lease, bond, note, or bill of exchange.
3. The writing by which an interest is transferred.
4. The appointment or designation of causes or actions in court, for trial on particular days.
5. In law, the conveyance of the whole interest which a man has in an estate, usually for life or year. It differs from a lease, which is the conveyance of a less term than the lessor has in the estate.