1. A long pillow or cushion, used to support the head of persons lying on a bed; generally laid under the pillows.
2. A pad, or quilt, used to hinder pressure, support any part of the body, or make a bandage sit easy upon a wounded part a compress.
3. In sadlery, a part of a saddle raised upon the bows or hinder part, to hold the rider's thigh.
4. In ships, a cushion or bag, filled with tarred canvas, used to preserve the stays from being worn or chafed by the masts.
BOLSTER, verb transitive To support with a bolster pillow or any soft pad or quilt.
1. To support; to hold up; to maintain.
2. To afford a bed to.