CHANT, verb transitive
1. To sing; to utter a melodious voice; that is, to cant or throw the voice in modulations.
The cheerful birds do chant sweet music.
2. To celebrate in song; as, to chant the praises of Jehovah.
3. To sing, as in church-service; to repeat words in a kind of canting voice, with modulations.
CHANT, verb intransitive
1. To sing; to make melody with the voice.
They chant to the sound of the viol. Amos 6:5.
2. To repeat words in the church-service with a kind of singing.
CHANT, noun Song; melody; church-service.