COMMENCE, verb intransitive
1. To begin; to take rise or origin; to have first existence; as, a state of glory to commence after this life; this empire commenced at a late period.
2. To begin to be, as in a change of character.
Let not learning too commence its foe.
3. To take a degree or the first degree in a university or college.
COMMENCE, verb transitive
1. To begin; to enter upon; to perform the first act; as, to commence operations.
2. To begin; to originate; to bring; as, to commence a suit, action or process in law.