1. The act of committing; a sending to prison; a putting into prison; imprisonment. It is equivalent to sending or putting in simply; as a commitment to the tower, or to Newgate; or for the sake of brevity, omitting the name of the place, it is equivalent to putting into prison; as, the offender is secured by commitment
2. An order for confining in prison. But more generally we use mittimus.
3. The act of referring or entrusting to a committee for consideration; a term in legislation; as the commitment of a petition or a bill to a select number of persons for consideration and report.
4. The act of delivering in charge or entrusting.
5. A doing, or perpetration, as of sin or a crime; commission.
6. The act of pledging or engaging; or the act of exposing or endangering.