1. One who directs; one who superintends, governs or manages; one who prescribes to others, by virtue of authority; an instructor; a counselor.
2. That which directs; a rule; an ordinance.
3. One appointed to transact the affairs of a company; as the director of a bank, or of the India Company.
4. That which directs or controls by influence.
Safety from external danger is the most powerful director of national conduct.
5. In surgery, a grooved probe, intended to direct the edge of the knife or scissors in opening sinuses or fistulae; a guide for and incision-knife.