1. One that founds, establishes and erects; one that lays a foundation; as the founder of a temple or city.
2. One who begins; an author; one from whom any thing originates; as the founder of a sect of philosophers; the founder of a family or race.
3. One who endows; one who furnishes a permanent fund for the support of an institution; as the founder of a college or hospital.
4. A caster; one who casts metals in various forms; as a founder of cannon, belles, hardware, printing types, etc.
FOUND'ER, verb intransitive
1. In seamen's language, to fill or be filled and sink, as a ship.
2. To fail; to miscarry.
3. To trip; to fell.
FOUND'ER, verb transitive To cause internal inflammation and great soreness in the feet of a horse, so as to disable or lame him.