HUM, verb intransitive To utter the sound of bees; to buzz.
1. To make an inarticulate buzzing sound.
The cloudy messenger turns me his back,
2. To pause in speaking, and make an audible noise like the humming bees.
He hummed and hawed.
3. To make a dull, heavy noise like a drone.
Still humming, on their drowsy course they took.
4. To applaud.
HUM, verb transitive To sing in a low voice; as, to hum a tune.
1. To cause to hum; to impose on.
HUM, noun The noise of bees or insects.
1. A low confused noise, as of crowds; as the busy hum of men.
2. Any low dull noise.
3. A low inarticulate sound, uttered by a speaker in a pause; as hums and haws.
4. An expression of applause.
HUM, exclamation A sound with a pause, implying doubt and deliberation.