PRINT, verb transitive [Latin imprimo; in and premo, to press; promptus, pressed or pressing forward.]
1. In general, to take or form letters, characters or figures on paper, cloth or other material by impression. Thus letters are taken on paper by impressing it on types blackened with ink. Figures are printed on cloth by means of blocks or a cylinder. The rolling press is employed to take prints on impressions from copper- plates. Thus we say, to print books, to print calico, to print tunes, music, likenesses, etc.
2. To mark by pressing one thing on another.
On his fiery steed betimes he rode,
That scarcely prints the turf on which he trod.
3. To impress any thing so as to leave its form.
Perhaps some footsteps printed in the clay--
4. To form by impression.
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh.
PRINT, verb intransitive To use or practice the art of typography, or of taking impressions of letters, figures and the like.
1. To publish a book. [Elliptical.]
From the moment he prints, he must expect to hear no more of truth.
PRINT, noun A mark made by impression; any line, character, figure or indentation of any form, made by the pressure of one body or thing on another; as the print of the tooth or of the nails in flesh; the print of the foot in sand or snow; the print of a wheel; the print of types on paper. Hence,
1. The impression of types in general, as to form, size, etc.; as a small print; a large print; a fair print
2. That which impresses its form on any thing; as a butter print; a wooden print
3. The representation or figure of any thing made by impression; as the print of the face; the print of a temple; prints of antiquities.
4. The state of being printed and published. Diffidence sometimes prevents a man from suffering his works to appear; in print
I love a ballad in print
5. A single sheet printed for sale; a newspaper.
The prints, about three days after, were filled with the same terms.
6. Formal method. [Not in use.]
Out of print a phrase which signifies that, of a printed and published work, there are no copies for sale, or none for sale by the publisher.