ROUGHNESS, noun ruf'ness.
1. Unevenness of surface, occasioned by small prominences; asperity of surface; as the roughness of a board, of a floor, or of a rock.
2. Austereness to the taste; as the roughness of sloes.
3. Taste of astringency.
4. Harshness to the ear; as the roughness of sounds.
5. Ruggedness of temper; harshness; austerity.
6. Coarseness of manners or behavior; rudeness.
Severity breedeth fear; but roughness breedeth hate.
7. Want of delicacy or refinement; as military roughness
8. Severity; harshness or violence of discipline.
9. Violence of operation in medicines.
10. Unpolished or unfinished state; as the roughness of a gem or a draught.
11. Inelegance of dress or appearance.
12. Tempestuousness; boisterousness; as of winds or weather.
13. Violent agitation by wind; as the roughness of the sea in a storm.
14. Coarseness of features.