SUPPORTER, noun One that supports or maintains.
1. That which supports or upholds; a prop, a pillar, etc.
The sockets and supporters of flowers are figured.
2. A sustainer; a comforter.
The saints have a companion and supporter in all their miseries.
3. A maintainer; a defender.
Worthy supporters of such a reigning impiety.
4. One who maintains or helps to carry on; as the supporters of a war.
5. An advocate; a defender; a vindicator; as the supporters of religion, morality, justice, etc.
6. An adherent; one who takes part; as the supporter of a party or faction.
7. In ship-building, a knee placed under the cat-head.
8. Supporters, in heraldry, are figures of beasts that appear to support the arms.