1. The act of taking up, placing, or considering something before the proper time, in natural order; prevention.
2. Foretaste; previous view or impression of what is to happen afterward; as, the anticipation of the joys of heaven.
The happy anticipation of a renewed existence in company with the spirits of the just.
3. Previous notion; preconceived opinion, produced in the mind, before the truth is known; slight previous impression.
4. The attack of a fever before the usual time.
5. In music, the obtrusion of a chord upon a syncopated note, to which it forms a discord.