BRUTE, adjective [Latin brutus, senseless, irrational.]
1. Senseless; unconscious; as the brute earth.
2. Irrational; ferine; as a brute beast.
3. Bestial; in common with beasts; as brute violence.
4. Rough; uncivilized; insensible; as a brute philosopher.
BRUTE, noun A beast; any animal destitute of reason, and of course the word comprehends all animals except man, but is applied mostly to the larger beasts.
1. A brutal person; a savage in heart or manners; a low bred, unfeeling man.
BRUTE, verb transitive for bruit, to report. [Not used.]