1. A small or close apartment, as in a prison, or a bath.
2. A cottage; a cave; a small or mean place of residence.
3. A small cavity or hollow place, variously applied; as the cells of the brain; the cells of a honey comb, etc.
4. In botany, a hollow place in a pericarp, particularly in a capsule, in which seeds are lodged. According to the number of these cells, pericarps are called unilocular, bilocular, trilocular, etc.
5. In anatomy, a little bag, or bladder, containing fluid or other matter; as the adipose cells, containing fat.
6. A religious house.