1. The act of bringing together, or assembling.
2. A collection or assemblage of separate things; as a congregation of vapors.
3. More generally, an assembly or persons; and appropriately, an assembly of persons met for the worship of God, and for religious instruction.
4. An assembly of rulers. Numbers 35:12.
5. An assembly of ecclesiastics or cardinals appointed by the pope; as the congregation of the holy office, etc. Also, a company or society of religious cantoned out of an order.
6. An academical assembly for transacting business of the university.