CURL, verb transitive
1. To turn, bend or form into ringlets; to crisp; as the hair.
2. To writhe; to twist; to coil; as a serpent.
3. To dress with curls.
The snaky locks that curled Megaera.
4. To raise in waves or undulations; to ripple.
Seas would be pools, without the brushing air to curl the waves.
CURL, verb intransitive
1. To bend in contraction; to shrink into ringlets.
2. To rise in waves or undulation; to ripple; and particularly, to roll over at the summit; as a curling wave.
3. To rise in a winding current, and to roll over at the ends; as curling smoke.
4. To writhe; to twist itself.
Then round her slender waist he curled.
5. To shrink; to shrink back; to bend and sink. He curled down into a corner.
1. A ringlet of hair, or any thing of a like form.
2. Undulation; a waving; sinuosity; flexure.
3. A winding int he grain of wood.