DEVOTE, verb transitive [Latin , to vow.]
1. To appropriate by vow; to set apart ro dedicate by a solemn act; to consecrate.
No devoted thing that a man shall devote to the Lord--shall be sold or redeemed. Every thing devoted thing is most holy to the Lord. Leviticus 27:28.
2. To give up wholly; to addict; to direct the attention wholly or chiefly; to attach; as, to devote ones self to science; to devote ourselves to our friends, or to their interest or pleasure.
3. To give up; to resign; as, aliens were devoted to rapine; the city was devoted to the flames.
4. To doom; to consign over; as, to devote one to destruction.
5. To execrate; to doom to evil.
DEVOTE, adjective Devoted.
DEVOTE, noun A devotee.