FAN, noun [Latin vannus.]
1. An instrument used by ladies to agitate the air and cool the face in warm weather. It is made of feathers, or of thin skin, paper or taffety mounted on sticks, etc.
2. Something in the form of a woman's fan when spread, as a peacoc's tail, a window, etc.
3. An instrument for winnowing grain, by moving which the grain is thrown up and agitated, and the chaff is separated and blown away.
4. something by which the air is moved; a wing.
5. An instrument to raise the fire or flame; as a fan to inflame love.