GEN'EROUS, adjective [Latin generosus. See Gender.]
1. Primarily, being of honorable birth or origin; hence, noble; honorable; magnanimous; applied to persons; as a generous foe; a generous critic.
2. Noble; honorable; applied to things; as a generous virtue; generous boldness. It is used also to denote like qualities in irrational animals; as a generous pack of hounds.
3. Liberal; bountiful; munificent; free to give; as a generous friend; a generous father.
4. Strong; full of spirit; as generous wine.
5. Full; overflowing; abundant; as a generous cup; a generous table.
6. Sprightly; courageous; as a generous steed.