INSCRI'BE, verb transitive [Latin inscribo; in and scribo, to write, Eng. to scrape. See Scribe.]
1. To write on; to engrave on for perpetuity or duration; as, to inscribe a line or verse on a monument, on a column or pillar.
2. To imprint on; as, to inscribe any thing on the mind or memory.
3. To assign or address to; to comment to by a short address, less formal than a dedication; as, to inscribe an ode or a book to a prince.
4. To mark with letters, characters or words; as, to inscribe a stone with a name.
5. To draw a figure within another, so that all the angles of the figure inscribed touch the angles, sides or planes of the other figure.