M'ARTIAL, adjective [Latin martialis; Mars, the god of war.]
1. Pertaining to war; suited to war; as martial equipage; martial music; a martial appearance.
2. Warlike; brave; given to war; as a martial nation or people.
3. Suited to battle; as a martial array.
4. Belonging to war, or to an army and navy; opposed to civil; as martial law; a court martial
5. Pertaining to Mars, or borrowing the properties of that planet.
The natures of the fixed start are esteemed martial or jovial, according to the colors by which they answer to those planets.
6. Having the properties if iron, called by the old chimists, Mars.