NATURALIZE, verb transitive [from natural, nature.]
1. To confer on an alien the rights and privileges of a native subject or citizen; to adopt foreigners into a nation or state, and place them in the condition of natural born subjects.
2. To make natural; to render easy and familiar by custom and habit; as, custom naturalizes labor or study.
3. To adapt; to make suitable; to acclimate; as, to naturalize one to a climate.
4. To receive or adopt as native, natural or vernacular; to make our own; as, to naturalize foreign words.
5. To accustom; to habituate; as, to naturalize the vine to a cold climate.