1. A piece of cloth sewed on a garment to repair it.
2. A small piece of any thing used to repair a breach.
3. A small piece of silk used to cover a defect on the face, or to add a charm.
4. A piece inserted in mosaic or variegated work.
5. A small piece of ground, or a small detached piece.
6. A paltry fellow. This use is sometimes heard in vulgar language; as a cross-patch.
PATCH, verb transitive To mend by sewing on a piece or pieces; as, to patch a coat.
1. To adorn with a patch or with patches.
In the middle boxes were several ladies who patched both sides of their faces.
2. To mend with pieces; to repair clumsily.
3. To repair with pieces fastened on; as, to patch the roof of a house.
4. To make up of pieces and shreds.
5. To dress in a party-colored coat.
6. To make suddenly or hastily; to make without regard to forms; as, to patch up a peace.