PER'SONATE, verb transitive To represent by a fictitious or assumed character so as to pass for the person represented.
1. To represent by action or appearance; to assume the character and act the part of another.
2. To pretend hypocritically. [Not used.]
3. To counterfeit; to feign; as a personated devotion.
4. To resemble.
The lofty cedar personates thee.
5. To make a representation of, as in picture.
6. To describe.
7. To celebrate loudly. [Latin persono.] [Not used.]
PER'SONATE, adjective [Latin persona, a mask.] Masked. A personate corol is irregular and closed by a kind of palate; or ringent, but closed between the lips by the palate.