1. The act of purifying by separating from a substance all extraneous matter; a clearing from dross, dregs or recrement; as the refinement of metals or liquors.
2. The state of being pure.
The more bodies are of a kin to spirit in subtilty and refinement the more diffusive are they.
3. Polish of language; elegance; purity.
From the civil war to this time, I doubt whether the corruptions in our language have not equaled its refinements.
4. Polish of manners; elegance; nice observance of the civilities of social intercourse and of graceful decorum. refinement of manners is often found in persons of corrupt morals.
5. Purity of taste; nice perception of beauty and propriety in literature and the arts.
6. Purity of mind and morals; nice perception and observance of rectitude in moral principles and practice.
7. Purity of heart; the state of the heart purified from sensual and evil affections. This refinement is the effect of christian principles.
8. Artificial practice; subtilty; as the refinements of cunning.
9. Affectation of nicety, or of elegant improvement; as the refinements of reasoning or philosophy.