RELIG'IOUS, adjective [Latin religiosus.]
1. Pertaining or relating to religion; as a religious society; a religious sect; a religious place; religious subjects.
2. Pious; godly; loving and reverencing the Supreme Being and obeying his precepts; as a religious man.
3. Devoted to the practice of religion; as a religious life.
4. Teaching religion; containing religious subject or the doctrines and precepts of religion, or the discussion of topics of religion; as a religious book.
5. Exact; strict; such as religion requires; as a religious observance of vows or promises.
6. Engaged by vows to a monastic life; as a religious order or fraternity.
7. Appropriated to the performance of sacred or religious duties; as a religious house.
RELIG'IOUS, noun A person bound by monastic vows, or sequestered from secular concerns and devoted to a life of piety and devotion; a monk or friar; a nun.