1. A piece of plaited linen worn by females around the neck.
2. Something puckered or plaited.
3. A small fish, a species of Perca.
4. A bird of the genus Tringa, with a tuft of feathers around the neck of the male, whence the name. The female is called reeve.
5. A state of roughness. obsolete
6. Pride; elevation; as princes in the ruff of all their glory.
7. A particular species of pigeon.
8. At cards, the act of winning the trick by trumping the cards of another suit.
RUFF, verb transitive
1. To ruffle; to disorder.
2. To trump any other suit of cards at whist.