1. The act of taking a thing from parties contending for it, and entrusting it to an indifferent person.
2. In the civil law, the act of the ordinary, disposing of the goods and chattels of one deceased, whose estate no will meddle with.
3. The act of taking property from the owner for a time, till the rents, issues and profits satisfy a demand.
4. The act of seizing the estate of a delinquent for the use of the state.
5. Separation; retirement; seclusion from society.
6. State of being separated or set aside.
7. Disunion; disjunction. [Not in use.]