1. Resting or being on the top or surface; as being upon a hill, or upon a rock; upon a field; upon a table; upon a river; upon the altar; upon the roof. He has his coat upon his back; his hat is upon his head.
2. In a state of resting or dependence; as upon this condition; he will contract with you upon these terms. upon our repentance we hope to be forgiven.
3. Denoting resting, as a burden. Impose upon yourself this task.
4. In the direction or part of; as upon the right hand.
5. Relating to. They are now engaged upon the affairs of the bank.
6. In consideration of; as upon the whole matter.
7. Near to; as a village upon the Thames.
8. With, or having received. He came upon an hour's warning.
9. On the occasion of; engaged in for the execution of. He sent the officer upon a bold enterprise.
10. In; during the time of; as upon the seventh day; upon the first of January.
11. Noting security; as, to borrow money upon lands, or upon mortgage.
12. Noting approach or attack.
The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. Judges 16:3.
13. Noting exposure or incurring some danger or loss. You do this upon pain of death, or upon the penalties of the law.
14. At the time of; on occasion of. What was their conduct upon this event?
15. By inference from, or pursuing a certain supposition. upon his principles, we can have no stable government.
16. Engaged in. What is he upon?
17. Having a particular manner. The horse is now upon a hard trot.
18. Resting or standing, as on a condition. He is put upon his good behavior.
19. Noting means of subsistence or support. Cattle live upon grass.
20. Noting dependence for subsistence; as, paupers come upon the parish or town.
To take upon to assume.
To assume upon in law, to promise; to undertake.